Whenever I think of this cake, I think of the summer holidays. I make this every summer when looking for easy baking to do with my two little ones. It doesn’t require any fancy ingredients and is a perfect way to fill up an afternoon.
- 110g/4oz Self raising flour
- 110g/4oz Caster sugar 110g/4oz
- Softened butter 1 tsp Baking powder v
- 2 Large eggs
- Juice of half a lemon (Half if its a fresh one, the whole thing if its been in the fruit bowl a while)
Here’s how to make
- Pre-heat the oven to about gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a cake tin, I use a loaf tin.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, baking powder, eggs and lemon juice. Beat everything together until light and fluffy, make sure the butter is a room temp before you start it makes a massive difference to the fluffiness of the cake. Tip everything into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes until the cake is golden and firm to touch – if you put a skewer into the centre it should come out clean. Leave to cool.
- I always do the icing by eye – add a few tablespoons of sifted icing sugar to a bowl and slowly add the juice of a lemon until its runny but not liquid.
I like to add my cake to a pretty plate before spreading the icing over the cake and adding sprinkles.